What a Joy to Serve Others!
Serving others is such an important part of our ministry at Shepherd of the Hills. We strive to meet our neighbors and become aware of the needs of others who we may serve, reaching those who need to know that God loves them. All of us can find our passion for service, whether helping with the Food Pantry, serving at the homeless shelter, delivering items, making phone calls, helping with a blood drive or whatever the event. It is our joy and our privilege.
The food pantry is available to anyone who is in need of food, it is located at the back of the church and is open 24/7. Meals of non-perishable items are in bags ready for pickup as well as miscellaneous grocery items. All are welcome to take what you need or leave items for others. To find out how you can help, please click HERE.
Inverness Elementary School
As we met our church neighbors, we found a need at the local elementary school. We deliver snacks, underwear, cleaning products, books and crayons, gift cards, etc. We also help out at the school as needs arise, if you would like to get involved, please contact Dede Blankenship.
Peanut Butter Brigade
On the 2nd Sunday of every month, we gather to make 100 portable meal bags for our homeless neighbors. Meals are delivered to the Firehouse Shelter for distributions. Donations of peanut butter, jelly, crackers and small water bottles are always welcome. Contact the church office if you would like to help!
On the 4th Wednesday of every other month, we deliver and serve dinner to approximately 70 homeless men and also bring greeting cards for the men to send to their loved ones. We love getting to know the residents, this ministry has been going strong for over 25 years! If you would like to help with dinners, please contact the church office.
Annual Outreach Events
Shepherd of the Hills has several annual events to get involved with, they will be posted on the Calendar as dates become available.
- Bombas sock distributions: Shepherd of the Hills has been selected as a Giving Partner to distribute Bombas sock donations to local community programs and shelters each winter. Learn more about the Bombas Giving Back program here.
- Ashes & Joe to Go: our drive-thru Ash Wednesday tradition where we offer hot coffee, ashes and a blessing to the community from the comfort of their car.
- Red Cross Blood Drives: occur at the church during the year.
- Blessing of the Pets: free pet blessings at Veteran’s park every summer.
- Food Drive for Oak Mountain Missions: drive-thru food drop-off to help stock the shelves at Oak Mountain Missions before the holidays.